Any foreign visitor who wishes to enter Japan must have a passport that will remain valid throughout the period of their stay. In order to enter Japan, visitors usually must comply with the conditions of their visas and authorizations of resident eligibility. However, visa exemptions can be made for citizens of 66 different countries provided that their stays are within 90 days, such as stays for sightseeing purposes, and that they do not engage in activities where they earn compensation.
The list of nationals of countries that have “Reciprocal Visa Exemption Arrangements”
with Japan (as of February 2016) is:
For a period of 90 days or less:
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados(*5), Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark,
Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong(*2),
Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Latvia, Lesotho(*5), Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macao(*3), Malaysia(*1), Malta, Mauritius, Mexico,
Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Romania, San Marino, Serbia(*1), Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain,
Surinam, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan(*4), Tunisia, Turkey(*5), United Kingdom, United States, and Uruguay
For a period of 15 days or less:
Thailand(*1) and Brunei
- Only for holders of an ePassport in compliance with ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) standards.
- Only for holders of a Special Administrative Region (SAR) passport issued by the Hong Kong SAR of the People’s Republic of China or a person in possession of a British National Overseas (BNO) passport who has the right of residence in Hong Kong.
- Only for holders of an SAR passport issued by the Macao SAR of the People’s Republic of China.
- Only for holders of a Taiwanese passport with a personal identification number.
- Only for holders of a Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) or an ePassport in compliance with ICAO standards.